Junction City, KS
322 W 6TH ST
JUNCTION CITY, KS 66441
The Kansas of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on December 4, 2019. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the El Tapatio Restaurant in Junction City was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Kansas food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 10 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- Located in the walk in cooler was a bucket with enchilada sauce. The sides of the bucket were covered in mold. Employee corrected on site. He removed the bucket and disposed of the sauce into the trash. Located in the refrigerated make table at the grill reserved oxygen packages of fish were not opened for thawing. PIC said fish was placed there 12/3/19. PIC corrected on site by opening packages.
- Located in the left refrigerated prep table ready to eat corn dogs had an open package of raw chorizo stored on top and touching. In the same unit raw shrimp, raw beef, and raw chorizo was stored in separate pans touching a pan of fully cooked beef. Also a pan of fully cooked intimation crab meet was stored on top of ROP raw fish fillets PIC corrected on site. He arranged refrigerated prep table to meet compliance. There was no sign of contamination. Located in the walk in cooler on a wire rack shelf a opened container of raw sliced beef was stored above an open pot of shredded cheese. The beef container had signs of raw beef hanging on the side that could drop into the cheese. There was no sign of contamination. Employee corrected on site. He moved the cheese with other ready to eat foods.
- Located in the walk in cooler 3 six inch pans of refried beans date marked being cooked on 12/3/19 had a temp of 46F and 47F in the middle and edges at 11:19AM. PIC said he placed the beans in the walk in at 8:00PM on 12/3/19 with no temps being recorded. The beans did not reach 41F within 6 hours. PIC corrected on site by disposal.
- Located in a coke reach in glass front cooler made flan was not date marked. PIC said the flan was made on 11/29/19. PIC corrected on site by labeling with date mark. In the same cooler made salsa was not labeled with a date marking. PIC said it was made 12/1/19. Corrected by labeling with date made.
- Located in the walk in cooler 2 thermometers hang near the entrance read differently. One read 45F and the other 50F. Inspector’s thermometer registered 30F. There was a 15-20 degree difference. Not corrected on site.
- Located at the 4 vat sink a female employee was washing pans and utensils by washing in soap and water then rinsing. They were then put away as cleaned without being sanitized. Corrected on site by items being placed back into ware washing.
- Located at all hand sinks and ware washing sinks when first tested water temp reached 128F. When employee washing dishes started to fill 3 vat sinks hot water would not reach over 91F and dropped to 86F within 2 minutes. Hand sinks would not reach over 98F. Owner tested dishwasher and said it only got to 103F. Water heater capacity is 40 gallons and will not re cooperate to keep up with demands. PIC called plumber for repairs and was sent verification of work order. Until repaired water is being heated stove top for pots and pans. Not corrected on site.
- Located at the mop sink the faucet is not equipped with backflow device. The faucet had a “Y” connector with shutoff valves and a hose attached with a shot off nozzle which was under constant pressure. The nozzle was draped the over the 4 vat sink with the nozzle in soiled water below the floodrim of the 4 vat sink. PIC said he would obtain a depressurizing tee. Corrected on site by disconnecting the hose an “Y” valve.
- Located at the base of the water heater there was dampness and small amounts of standing water. Inspector counted 5 roaches around the base. PIC showed last receipt of pest control treatment dated 11/20/19. PIC called pest control company to place a work order. Not corrected on site.
- Located at the 4 compartment sink was a spray bottle with a yellow liquid without any labeling. PIC said it was degreaser. PIC corrected on site by labeling.
Abbreviations used by inspectors:
AVB- An Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB) is a backflow prevention device used in plumbing to prevent backflow of non-potable liquids into the drinking water system
BOH- Back of the House
CFSM- Certified Food Safety Manager
COS- Corrected on-site during inspection
FCS- Food contact surface
PHF- Potentially Hazardous Foods
RIC- Reach in cooler
RTE- Ready to Eat
WIC- Walk-in cooler
Hot Rod’s BBQ in Junction City fails inspection; Person in charge smarts off to inspector over proper hand washing procedures
By: Robert Dewey | firstname.lastname@example.org Junction City, KS Hot Rod'z BBQ 1118 Washington STJunction City, KS 66441785-209-0527 The Kansas of Agriculture's Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food...