401 N 4TH ST
BURLINGTON, KS 66839
Kansas Department of Agriculture’s food safety and lodging program conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on 3/15/2020. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the Bake-Ary in Burlington was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Kansas food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 5 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- In a reach in cooler, unpackaged raw shell eggs stored above packaged ready to eat cheese in a sack (moved).
- No procedure for using time as a public health control for sausage rolls (no rolls were out during inspection) (made a procedure). Also, the log simply lists 5-9 am, 6-10 am, 8-12 am, and 9-12 am. The log must go by the actual time the product is removed from the over, and the actual four-hour time recorded. The works “sausage rolls” must also be on the log.
- The following foods are stored in, and in direct contact with, non-food grade plastic containers: in a reach in cooler, cooked bacon, and cheese; and on a table, four frostings. Also, a small non-food grade plastic cabinet has sprinkles stored in and in direct contact with the drawers.
- Fresh rodent droppings (number approximate): 12 in the cabinet under the hand sink in the women’s restroom, and in the kitchen 18 on the wooden surface and 2 x 4 by the heater unit, behind the heater unit, and behind a reach in cooler. As per owner, they have a hired pest control service that sprays and sets out sticky traps. Pest control method observed was sticky traps. No invoice was available for review.
- One unlabeled spray bottle holding a clear liquid that did not foam when shaken (alcohol as per employee) (labeled). Also, one unlabeled spray bottle holding a red liquid (multipurpose cleaner as per employee)(labeled).
Abbreviations used by inspectors:
AVB- An Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB) is a backflow prevention device used in plumbing to prevent backflow of non-potable liquids into the drinking water system
BOH- Back of the House
CFSM- Certified Food Safety Manager
COS- Corrected on-site during inspection
FCS- Food contact surface
PHF- Potentially Hazardous Foods
RIC- Reach in cooler
RTE- Ready to Eat
WIC- Walk-in cooler